Goals

1. Support the topic, give reasons why


2. Examples


3. Connect to literature


4. Better word choice


5. Transitions between paragraphs


6. Order of Paragraphs







Friday, March 30, 2012

Mood and Tone

Authors Note- This is a journal response about the two songs "Big Yellow Taxi" and "Field Below." I would like feedback on if you agree with the mood. 


In my language arts class, we read two poems and then  listened to them. "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell and "Field Below" by Regina Spektor.  "Field Below" lyrics are about a girl or boy that's family or boyfriend left them. When we listened to the song, it was very slow and depressing, and it really made me want to go to sleep.  The way Regina Spektor sang this song, it went exactly with what the lyrics were saying. . The mood, which is the feeling that the author wants you to get  is sad because of what it's actually talking about. Overall the tone in this piece is wishing for something better, sadness, and being unhappy with life.

Joni Mitchell on the other hand, created a different type of song. "Big Yellow Taxi" is about destroying nature, and the overall message is that you don't know what you have until its gone. When we listened to this song, it was more upbeat and not so slow, which actually contradicts the meaning of the song. In my opinion, I think the mood that she wants you to get is to stop destroying nature. The tone is sadness, because she probably lost something that was near and dear to her heart, but again inspirational because the way she was singing the song didn't make me feel like she was sad about anything.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job explaining the meanings of the songs. It makes me want to read them. (even though I already did)!

    ReplyDelete